"The Christmas Play"
By Rudolfo Anaya
Rudolfo Anaya was born on October 30,
Soon after he was born Anaya's family moved to
- His fiction draws heavily on the superstitions and myths of the Mexican-American culture that commingled with the traditions of the Roman Catholic Faith.
- Spanish was spoken in the home, and Anaya was not introduced to English until he went to school.
After graduating from
When his studies proved
unfulfilling, he enrolled in the
- In 1966, he married Patricia lawless.
- Over a period of seven years, Anaya completed his first novel Bless me, Ultima.
- The main theme is multiculturalism.
- The protagonists are the children.
- Narrative Technique: The story is written in first person narrator.
- Miss Violet (round character).
- Children (round characters, protagonist).
- Exposition: when the children where preparing for the play.
- Rising Action: When the boys started to act very badly.
- Climax: started when the boys made a huge mess on the stage.
- Falling Action: the students (audience) left the room and it became quiet.
- Resolution: schoolhouse became like a tomb without the kids.